State-by-state updates at the 2009 NFOIC Summit: Helen Burke of the Minnesota Coalition on Government Information provided a summary of her state's FOI news.
- The governor's approach toward retention of e-mails is that they be kept up to 90 days, preferably 30 days.
- Minnesota took a step in the right direction with the Transparency and Accountability Project which includes vendor reports.
- Minnesota doesn't allow cameras in the courtroom, but the Supreme Court has said there can be a commission set up to explore this issue. It's moving at a glacial pace but in a good direction.
- The Uptake streamed the hearings regarding the Franken/Coleman senatorial election.
- Public access suffered a setback when the governor signed into law a bill that defines the Department of Natural Resources database as not a public database.